Puebla American School Foundation was founded by Anne Jenkins de Buntzler on September 1, 1942, with the support of Dr. Feland Meadows, Jr., to meet the needs of the American families living in Puebla.
The school opened formally on February 1, 1943 in a rented house on Avenue 17 Poniente 901 with an enrollment of 75 students
In the summer of 1945, H. Stephen Stockmeyer took on the role of Principal, and the school moved to Avenue 15 Sur 710.
During the 1946 school year, middle school grades were added, and enrollment increased to 150, requiring the school to move to a larger space on Avenue 13 Sur 2102.
Construction of a new building at Avenue 9 Poniente 2709 was completed and ready for use in February, 1949. Enrollment increased to 400 students.
In August, 1948, Harold House was named principal of the school. During his tenure, the Middle School was incorporated into the Secretary of Public Education.
Ramón T. Mosley was named superintendent in February, 1956. Enrollment continued to rise and in 1958, additional classrooms for art and music and science laboratories were added to the building.
In 1961, Max Tudor became superintendent as the school population continued to grow. Anne Jenkins de Buntzler asked her brother, William O. Jenkins, for land to build a second campus for the increasing number of students.
Mr. Jenkins passed away before the project was undertaken, and Ms. Jenkins de Buntzler began the process of giving the school a more legal and permanent structure. Manuel Espinosa Yglesias, who succeeded Mr. Jenkins as president of the Mary Street Jenkins Foundation, took steps to create Puebla American School Foundation, transferring to it the school’s assets.
In 1965, Dr. John Dobson replaced Dr. Tudor as superintendent of the school.
The campus that was provided for by Mr. Jenkins was built between 1965 and 1970 on land surrounded by farmland on what is now Avenue 31 Poniente.
Ms. Jenkins de Buntzler retired from the school in 1969 and moved to the United States with her husband. That same year, the school opened its Business School.
In June, 1970, Dr. Dobson moved to the Education Department of the University of the Americas, and Dr. Chaffee took over as superintendent.
In 1976, the Mary Street Jenkins Foundation granted the Middle School the use of its Huexotitla installations.
Between 1980 and 2000, the Las Ánimas campus underwent numerous remodeling projects and additions.
A large, modern gymnasium-auditorium was built at the La Paz campus between 1995 and 2004, with 2 regulation basketball courts and a stage, seating for 1000 people at events such as graduation ceremonies, concerts, and plays.
The International Baccalaureate Organization gave authorization for the school to teach its 3 programs in these years: Diploma Program, 1998; Primary Years Program (PYP), 2004; Middle Years Program (MYP), 2006.
The Class of 2004 was the last group to graduate from the Administrative Assistant Department (formerly the Business School).
Dr. Arthur Chaffee retired as superintendent in July, 2006, when Dr. Francisco Galicia Ortega, the current superintendent, took over that position.
In 2011, the school became the first in Mexico to join the International Alliance for Invitational Education (IAIE), which currently has more than 100 member institutions around the globe.
The High School was approved to teach the College Board Advanced Placement Program in 2010, and in 2012, began teaching the College Board International Diploma program as well.
In February 2012, a time capsule was sealed at the Las Ánimas campus in honor of the school’s seventieth anniversary. The capsule will be opened in 2027.
The following facilities at the La Paz campus were remodeled from September, 2011 through August, 2013: the exterior façade, classrooms, cafeteria, Information Media Center, restrooms, conference room, faculty room, interior façade, and terrace.
In 2014, the hallway, classrooms, nurse's clinic, and administrative offices of Preschool at the Las Ánimas campus were expanded. The new server room was also built at the Primary School and the multi-purpose fields and the interior façade were updated.
The new Junior High School building was inaugurated on the La Paz campus in September, 2015 with facilities, furnishings, and equipment to meet the current educational needs of our students as well as to accommodate our student population. In this way, the Puebla American School Foundation continues to fulfill its educational mission.
Our sixth graders built a dispenser to make drinking water accessible.
This project was selected by Google Mexico as an example of how students and teachers are using technology to empower a rising generation of innovative change makers.
American School Students Learn Robotics through Games
The American School of Puebla teaches its students 21st Century skills.
ETS, (Educational Testing Service), the largest assessment organization in the world, has recognized the Puebla American School Foundation for its English language instruction
By administering the TOEFL Jr. examination to their outgoing 6th graders, the American School showcases its commitment to students and families to provide the best English language mastery program pos
New Flexible Classrooms in High School
Studies have consistently shown that classroom design matters to how children engage, participate and ultimately stay involved in their learning experience.
Opening of the new latest generation soccer fields
The Puebla American School inaugurated two new latest generation soccer fields in the Las Animas campus.